Thursday, February 10, 2011

Restaurant Review: Brunching @ Plum's Cafe

Sundays were just made for brunch. My sister and I decided to listen to the raving Yelp reviews and check out Plum's Cafe in Costa Mesa. Don't be fooled by its slightly unglamorous location! Even at 2pm, Plum's Cafe was packed with hungry foodies (brunch ends at 3pm). 


Location | 369 E. 17th Street, Costa Mesa CA 92627


Brunch is served Saturdays & Sundays from 9am - 3pm


Rachel Leigh Ring | Gorjana Gold Ashby Necklace (purchased from Gilt!)
I ordered the Brunch Entree (add $8) which includes: Coffee/Tea, your choice of either a Bloody Mary/Mimosa/Glass of Champagne along with your entree. 


My sister ordered the Willamette Hazelnut Pancakes 
complete with a Marion Berry Compote 


Delicious bread that comes from Sunflower Bakery 
and their delicious homemade jam!


I ordered the Alderwood Smoked Salmon Hash. 
Do not be mistaken like I was. This is not the kind of smoked salmon that you 
put on bagels/cream cheese/capers.


Their famous Dutch Baby. Squeezed some lemon and sprinkled some 
powdered sugar on top. It was like a heavenly combination 
of funnel cake + lemon bar. Highly recommend! It was the perfect dessert after my savory entree.
*Takes 30 minutes to make so be sure to order this first. 

Overall, I'd have to say the Yelp Reviews were quite accurate. Plum's has great entrees and you know their ingredients are fresh. However, the prices are kind of expensive (I justified this with the idea that I'd be getting in two meals in one. Ah - the beauty of brunch!). I feel like if restaurants want to charge that much for their food, it better be an amazing meal. 

My Smoked Salmon Hash was appetizing. I love salmon anytime anywhere but the flavors didn't tie in together as well as I imagined. It was basically just what the description described: red potatoes, assorted peppers, and two poached eggs. The Dill Hollandaise sauce was lacking in that strong dill flavor that I was craving for that morning, which was kind of disappointing. It was still a delicious entree but not what I expected for a $14 price tag. 

Highlights: 
  1. They had a great and attentive waitstaff here. My coffee mug was never more than half-empty! 
  2. The Plum's Famous Dutch Baby. I've never had a huge sweet tooth, so for breakfast I typically choose something savory, but this wasn't that sweet at all! The acidity of the lemon/sugar/syrup combination were the perfect complements.
  3. Their ingredients were fresh. My sister's berry compote on her waffles were so sweet and delicious.
  4. Quick seating and the meals came promptly. 

Dislikes: 
  1. Sadly, the mimosas are not refillable. Bottomless mimosas should be a must for brunch!
  2. The location is slightly unappealing. I would love to sit outside and enjoy my brunch without the parking lot and concrete walls being in view. 
  3. Our table space seemed overwhelmed by our plates. Due to our three entrees, drinks, toast, and dishes of condiments. While looking around, other tables also seemed to have the same problem. 
The Ruling (4/5): 

I would definitely come back again. Next time, I'd be sticking to their favorites (Famous Dutch Baby!) because that seemed to be the way to go in ordering. Their Santa Fe Eggs Benedict is just calling my name: poached eggs over peppered ham, fresh baguette, and a chipotle-cilantro hollandaise. Yelpers raved about their Coconut French Toast as well! I salivated just typing that out. Check out their brunch menu here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...